- This event has passed.
The First Amendment & Free Press: Are They in Danger?
April 30 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Tuesday, April 30
7:00pm reception, 7:30 program
$10 for members, $20 for guests
This program will consider the future of free speech and an independent media as they meet the challenges of the digital revolution and an Administration whose mantra is that they put out “fake news” and are “the enemy of the people.” Will the mainstream media survive the onslaught of digital platforms and specialized websites? Does the White House pose a real threat to the media, and is it a legal threat or one of public relations? What can be done about the President’s daily battering of the press? What are the upsides and downsides of the press’ calling the President a liar? Are journalists in danger around the world?
- Lesley Stahl (wife and mother of an Amherst grad), 60 Minutes correspondent, and CBS News former White House correspondent & past Face the Nation moderator
- Henry Goldman, Amherst ’71, Bloomberg reporter covering NY state and local news from City Hall, and former Philadelphia Inquirer reporter and editor
- Jon Landman, Amherst ’74, Managing Editor, Bloomberg Opinion, and former Deputy Managing Editor and Metropolitan Editor, The New York Times
- Jim Warren, Amherst ’74, Former Chicago Tribune D.C. Bureau Chief and Managing Editor; and former N.Y. Daily News D.C. Bureau Chief
- Joel Simon, Amherst ’86, Executive Director, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Moderator, George Freeman, Amherst ’71, Executive Director, Media Law Resource Center, and former V.P. & Assistant General Counsel of The New York Times